Kilworth GAA Notes 14th October 2021 2021-10-16 12:40:00



Our Premier Intermediate hurlers are through to the Co Op Superstores Cork County hurling championship quarter final after a titanic and pulsating battle with Ballinhassig played under lights in Glantane last Saturday night. The old cliché that ‘goals win matches’ rang true with two second half goals and a penalty save ensuring Kilworth topped the group and progress to meet Valley Rovers on October 24th. There were impressive displays all over the pitch with our defence outstanding all through.

Kilworth took time to settle, with Ballinhassig on top early doors having the better of the opening exchanges, our defence under severe pressure. However, we only trailing by two points by the first water break and were back on level terms by halftime which was a huge shot in the arm given Ballinhassig’s dominance for periods of the half. The sides were level at the three-quarter stage also, the two goals and penalty save came at vital stages in the second half and provided the impetus along with a never say die attitude to win the day. 

Ballinhassig had the opening two scores of the game (1 free), with Noel McNamara getting Kilworth off the mark with a pointed free after five minutes. Ballinhassig were the more clinical side at this stage landing two points from play before Will Condon was at the end of a great team move with the score 0-4 to 0-2 after ten minutes. Jeromy Saich (who had to leave the field with an injury shortly after) was fouled in defence, with Eoin Carey picking out Jamie Sheehan from the resulting free. Jamie under severe pressure did very well to fend off the defence and find Will to slot the ball between the posts. Ballinhassig pushed three points ahead with Noel McNamara adding a free to leave it 0-5 to 0-3 at the water break. Kilworth’s positive attitude and resolve to win was very evident in the work rate that led up to this score. Pressure from our defence forced the Ballinhassig attacker into over carrying. The subsequent placed ball was worked up to James McCarthy who in turn was fouled with Noel landing the resulting free.  

On the resumption Nathan Byrne found Eoin Carey, now operating at midfield and he slotted over a beaty to leave the bare minimum between the sides. Ballinhassig and Jamie Sheehan exchanged white flags as the opposition led 0-6 to 0-5 after twenty-one minutes. A Ballinhassig point from distance was cancelled out with a long range free from Noel McNamara, Brian Tobin fouled in the lead up. Noel again from a placed ball, Liam Whelan this time drawing the free tied it up 0-7 a piece at the short whistle.

The Carrigdhoun men restarted the better racing into a three-point lead (1 free) to lead 0-10 to 0-7 inside four second half minutes. A free from Noel McNamara stemmed the tide, Ballincollig again forced into overcarrying which led to the shot at goals. With forty-two minutes on the clock Kilworth took the lead for the first time in the game, a long and accurate ball in from Eoin Carey was caught superbly by Will Condon. With still some work to do, Will coolly dispatch the ball to the back of the net to give the Cork keeper no chance and the score read 1-8 to 0-10. Kieran Walsh with a free from distance extended the lead to two. White flags from Ballinhassig in the 45th and 47th minutes (free) left it all square 1-9 to 0-12 at the second water break. 

Dave Twomey picked our Mickey Sheehan with a sublime pass who turned to slot over a great point to retake the lead. A foul on Eoin Carey as he advanced towards goal was punished by Noel McNamara and the score read 1-11 to 0-12 after fifty minutes. Things were to get better shortly after when a superb ball in from Liam Whelan was well caught by Jamie Sheehan before he turned to billow the net and extend the advantage to five points 2-11 to 0-12. Ballinhassig from the restart moved the ball quickly up field and were awarded a penalty, which Kieran Walsh saved well, turning the ball around the post for a ‘65’ which Ballinhassig converted.

Still there was time for Ballinhassig to come back and they finished strong adding four additional points to one Kilworth free from Noel McNamara after Mike Sheehan was obstructed. With the deficit down to a single point deep into injury time as Ballinhassig tried to conjure a levelling score our lads put their bodies on the line and defended their rear-guard to prevent a dramatic finale, with the final whistle sounding after close to thirty-eight second half minutes, Kilworth courageously holding on by the tightest of margins. This was a super victory for Kilworth, as brave and resilient a performance for a long time, they refused to give in and got their just reward.

Team and Scorers: K Walsh (0-1 f), K Lane, N Byrne, A O’Hara, E McGrath, E Carey (0-1), D Twomey, B Tobin, J Saich, J McCarthy, L Whelan, B Sheehan, N McNamara (0-7 fs), W Condon (1-1), J Sheehan (1-1). Subs used; M O’Connor for J Saich (inj), M Sheehan (0-1) for B Tobin, S Keane for J Sheehan, M McNamara for M O’Connor.


Attention this weekend turns to the big ball as we take on Charleville in the semi-final of the Synergy Fermoy Credit Union JAFC. Progress to this stage of the competition was secured after topping Group 1 following wins over Fermoy, Liscarroll/Churchtown Gaels and a draw 0-8 a piece against Saturday’s opponents in the first game of the group stage, played back on August 10th. The game is fixed for Castletownroche with a 4pm throw in and we wish the best of luck to the panel of players and team management. Let’s hope the winning momentum will continue.


Synergy Fermoy Credit Union JAFC Semi-Final Kilworth V Charleville in Castletownroche Saturday October at 4pm.

Co-Op Superstores PIHC Quarter Final Kilworth v Valley Rovers in Blarney (prov) Sunday October 24th at 4pm.


Congratulations to Kilworth Camogie U11s who won the Avondhu final over Kildorrery in Kildorrery last Sunday morning. Best of luck also to Kilworth Camogie U14’s who take on Nemo Rangers in the County Championship Final at Fermoy on Sunday afternoon (time tbc). This is a great occasion for the girls, their team management, and the Camogie club. This group have also qualified for the League final in a very successful season.

LOTTO AT €12,800

There was no winner of this week’s lotto jackpot of €12,600 held on Monday October 11th. The numbers drawn were: 01, 02, 16 and 30. The lucky dip winner of €50 was Freddy Sheedy c/o Patsy O’Mahony. The lucky dip winners of €25 each were Noel McNamara c/o Yearly, Adrian Cremin c/o Online, Tom and Sean c/o The Village Inn.  Next week’s jackpot on Monday October 18th is €12,800. Tickets cost just €2 each or 3 lines for €5 and they are available online, in the local business outlets or from your usual local sellers. Be sure and play today for your chance to win the jackpot! Best of luck to all our players! As always, we would like to thank you for your ongoing support.


The club would like to wish Jeromy Saich a speedy recovery from the injury he picked up in the win over Ballinhassig last Saturday. Best wishes and a speedy recovery also to former club chairman Sean O’Callaghan following his recent illness. We hope to see you out and about again shortly.


Huge congratulations to Christopher O’Mahony and partner Jenna on the birth of their son, Cohen James recently.


Please like our “Kilworth GAA” Facebook page (, follow us on Twitter

@KilworthGaa or check out our website @ You can also follow us on

Instagram @kilworthgaa. These pages are updated on a regular basis so keep an eye for all club activities on there!

MAIN CLUB SPONSORS: Mike Walsh Pharmacy, Ahearne’s Pub, The Village Inn, KDC Ltd, Kilally Stables and Mitchelstown Dental Clinic.

Back to top