Kilworth GAA Notes 27th May 2021 2021-05-31 20:57:00


For those who have not yet paid, please note that membership is due by 31st May  and can be paid on line by logging onto Hopefully, by the time club championship comes around unlimited crowds will be allowed to attend, however if like last year restrictions remain in place and the club receives a limited number of tickets only fully paid up current members will eligible for these tickets. This will also be the case if intercounty tickets become available for games later in the season.


There was no winner of this week’s lotto jackpot of €8,600 held on Monday May 24th. The numbers drawn were: 6, 16, 19 and 30. The lucky dip winner of €50 was Catherine Sheehan c/o online. The lucky dip winners of €25 each were: Kevin & Janette c/o Centra, Ricky & Nana Condon c/o Hair by Helen, and Mary Ryan c/o online. Next week’s jackpot on Monday May 31st  is €8,800. Tickets cost just €2 each or 3 lines for €5 and they are available locally in O’ Sullivan’s Centra, Carmel’s Garden Centre, Bedina’s, Ger Hennessy Hair Studio, Hair by Helen, online at or from any of our usual sellers. Be sure and play today for your chance to win the jackpot! Best of luck to all our players! As always, we would like to thank you for your ongoing support.


2007 saw Kilworth’s long awaited return to the Intermediate grade following the clubs second County Junior triumph in 2006. It had been a long time coming since the clubs last championship outing at intermediate level way back in 1970.

In Round 1 Glen Rovers second string provided the opposition with Kilworth coming out on top 1-23 to 1-12 at Rathcormac on May 6th.

We were then drawn to meet old rivals Dromina in Round 3, a knockout contest with the winners advancing to the quarter final. Dromina had operated at Intermediate level for a number of years and this big North Cork derby whet the appetite of Gaels throughout the Avondhu division and beyond. The game didn’t disappoint and turned out to be a cracking contest bringing back memories of epic battles in the junior grade during the nineties and in the early years of the new millennium, between these two clubs.  

John Horgan in the Evening Echo on Monday June 11th 2007, described the game as ‘’ One of the most incredible games on the club front in Cork for many a long day’’, and ‘’Even at this early stage in the championship road it’s a leading contender for match of the year’

The margin of Kilworth’s victory suggests a comfortable night at the office and in the end it was but it would be correct also to state that we stumbled over the finishing line after being almost of sight at various times over the hour.

With seven minutes remaining we were leading by just a goal but yet seven minutes into the game we were leading 3-2 to 0-0. At half time we led 3-10 to 0-5 and by the 43rd minute led 4-12 to 0-11. But the concession of 3-1 without reply between the 45th and 53rd minute had our nerves jangling before the lads reinvented themselves again in the final few minutes.

Here is the match report from yours truly as carried in the Avondhu on June 14th  2007;


Kilworth 6-12 Dromina 3-14

The final score tells its own story.  This was a truly pulsating Evening Echo Cork County Intermediate hurling championship encounter played in pristine conditions before a huge attendance at sun drenched Buttevant on Saturday evening last.  Both teams served up a thrilling encounter high on intensity and quality.  The hitting was hard, the scoring was top class, it was edge of the seat stuff in the second half and had the fervour and passion so typical of Kilworth and Dromina clashes.

Two brilliantly taken goals in the dying minutes by substitute Micksey O’Brien and ace marksman Paudie Lynch propelled Kilworth to a seven point victory. However, it was heart in the mouth stuff for most of the second period as all in attendance witnessed a 14 point Kilworth half time advantage reduced to 3 points with seven minutes remaining.  With the game on a knife edge, the lads never gave up, weathering the storm, displaying tremendous battling qualities and a never say die attitude, with the tied eventually turning in our favour late on as we held out of a well-deserved victory.

Kilworth got off to a flyer with Paudie Lynch raising a green flag inside two minutes.  This was a high quality score and set the tone for the evenings proceedings.  After some excellent defending from Alan Kenny his clearance found Elton Pierce who in turn released Paudie Lynch with a well-timed hand pass.  Paudie had only one thing on his mind and beat the keeper with a low shot to the corner, producing the perfect opening to this much-anticipated third round clash.  Lightning struck again less than a minute later when a massive clearance from Kieran Walsh caused all sorts of problems in the Dromina defence, with Damien Donoghue on hand to dispatch the ball to the net.  Will Twomey with an intelligent ball set up Paudie for our first point and he added his second over, a minute later after gathering possession from a Kieran Walsh puck out.  The direct ball from defence was paying rich dividends in the opening minutes and we stuck gold yet again when a Kieran Walsh puck out split the Dromina defence, with Paudie showing a poachers instinct getting in behind his marker and striking a first time ball to the net leaving it 3-2 to 0-0 with seven minutes on the clock.  

A visibly shell shocked Dromina tried to respond in determined mood and pointed three frees in quick succession to get them off the mark.  Adrian Mannix with a pointed free after a foul on Thomas Twomey and Dromina exchange white flags with Dromina following up with yet another pointed free to leave it 3-3 to 0-5 at the end of the opening quarter.

Surprisingly this was to be our opponents last score of the half.  Adrian Mannix followed with a pointed free after Damien McNamara was fouled launching an attack from defence.  Our midfield pair of Dion Cahill and Brian Tobin combined for our fifth point as Dion caught a Dromina clearance before passing to Brian who dissected the posts from distance to open up a nine-point lead by the 20th minute.  

Kilworth continued their unrelenting pursuit of scores with Adrian Mannix landing a free after Joe Cahill was impeded before Paudie added another white flag.  Good defending by Will Twomey and Aidan Kenny set Adrian up for a well-taken point on the run.  Thomas Twomey got in on the act in the 26th minute with Paudie Lynch rounding off a very impressive first half with his fourth point to leave Kilworth in a very comfortable position leading 3-10 to 0-5 at the break.

Dromina hit the ground running on the resumption determined to make their mark and compensate for a below par opening half.  They had three points on the board including a free and a ‘65’ by the 34th minute and their intentions were made very clear.  Adrian Mannix and Dromina exchanged points before a foul on Elton Pierce on the halfway line resulted in Damien McNamara converting the placed ball.  A Dromina point from the side-line left it 3-12 to 0-10 by the 40th minute.  The game was now much more of a spectacle but despite another Dromina over we looked very much in control and heading for a comfortable victory.  This view was reinforced when Brian Tobin set up Adrian Mannix for our fourth goal that put Kilworth into a 13-point lead, 4-12 to 0-11.

Dromina refused to let this score faze them as they fought hard to get back into contention.  The goaled in the 44th minute and forced the concession of a 21-yard free seconds later.  Kieran Walsh saved the initial attempt but our defence failed to clear their lines with Dromina bagging a scrappy goal.

It was frantic end-to-end action for the next few minutes with Kilworth seven points to the good entering the final ten minutes of the game.  Dromina added 1-1 in the space of two minutes the goal resulting from another 21-yard free that reduced their arrears to 3 points.

Their tremendous come back was almost complete but our lads were hell bent on keeping their noses in front.  They fought as if their lives depended on it with Joe Cahill now operating at midfield gathering possession before releasing to the inside forwards and relieving the pressure on our defence.  Brian Tobin was on the end of Joe’s pass as he attacked along the end line, crossing a pinpoint ball to the dangerous Micksey O’Brien.  Micksey used his strength to fend off a number of defenders and while he was unable to swing his hurley he kicked a powerful shot to the corner of the net giving the keeper no chance with a fabulous goal.

This was a relieving score as we now led by 6-points with 4 minutes to go.  Back came Dromina with two points (1 free) as we approached injury time.  The game was still very much in the balance as another Dromina goal was bound to add to the injury time the referee would allow.  Fortunately it was Kilworth who grabbed the all-important final score, another beauty from Paudie Lynch.  The Dromina corner back looked favourite to gather a long clearance, but Paudie once more slipped inside the last line of defence before billowing the net with a confident strike.  The final whistle sounded shortly and was warmly welcomed by players, mentors and the huge Kilworth following in attendance.

We got some excellent scores and our hurling at times especially in the first half was top drawer.  We got a dream start and were hurling superbly all over the field.  Dromina were always going to have a spell of domination and they produced a great comeback, but when it counted our lads showed their true character lifting it when it mattered most.  6-12 is great scoring but the concession of 3-14 and several frees from scorable positions is a worry and something Pat and his selectors will be working on I’m sure ahead of our quarter final.  But at the end of the day we have two championship wins from two outings and maximum points from four league games played.

The club would like to congratulate the team and panel, coach Pat Greehy, team trainer Lorenzo Bracken, selectors, Jack Keane, John Kenny, Tony Sheehan, Noel Daly and all associated with the team for a memorable win.

For the greater portion of the hour we were by far the more balanced side with some marvellous individual performances but it was the overall team effort that was significant.

This victory sets up an appetising quarter final clash with West Cork side Kilbrittain with this encounter likely to take place on the week ending July 15th.

Scorers:  P Lynch 3-4, A Mannix 1-5 (0-3 f), D O’Donoghue, M O’Brien 1-0 each, B Tobin, T Twomey, D McNamara (free) 0-1 each.

Team:  K Walsh, Alan Kenny, J Hegarty, D Tobin, Aidan Kenny, W Twomey, D McNamara, D Cahill, B Tobin, T Twomey, E Pierce, A Mannix, P Lynch, J Cahill, D O ‘Donoghue.  Sub used: M O’Brien.


Please like our “Kilworth GAA” Facebook page (, follow us on Twitter

@KilworthGaa or check out our website @ You can also follow us on

Instagram @kilworthgaa. These pages are updated on a regular basis so keep an eye for all club activities on there!

MAIN CLUB SPONSORS: Mike Walsh Pharmacy, Ahearne’s Pub, The Village Inn, KDC Ltd, Kilally Stables and Mitchelstown Dental Clinic.

Back to top