Kilworth GAA Notes 20th February 2021 2021-05-24 09:24:00


There was no winner of this week’s lotto jackpot of €8,400 held on Monday May 17th. The numbers drawn were: 17, 21, 24 and 27. The lucky dip winner of €50 was John Browne Snr c/o Ber Wheeler. The lucky dip winners of €25 each were: Elaine Murray c/o online, Dave O’Mahony c/o Centra and Conor O’Keeffe c/o Brian Carey. Next week’s jackpot on Monday May 24th is €8,600. Tickets cost just €2 each or 3 lines for €5 and they are available locally in O’ Sullivan’s Centra Kilworth, Carmel’s Garden Centre Kilworth , online at or from any of our usual sellers. Be sure and play today for your chance to win the jackpot! Best of luck to all our players! As always, we would like to thank you for your ongoing support.


A reminder that club membership is now due and can be paid on line by logging onto If you have any queries in relation to the system, please do not hesitate to contact club registrar Alan Kenny. Membership is due to be paid by 31st May. Normally it is March 31st but Croke Park has extended for this year until 31st May. Your membership payment and your continued support in general to our thriving club is greatly appreciated. New members are always very welcome to join Kilworth GAA club.


Happy 50th wedding anniversary to Tom and Catherine Howard and heartiest congratulations to you both as you celebrate this golden milestone.


The club would like to extend its deepest sympathy to the Slattery and Lynch families, Kilally, Kilworth, the O’Mahony family Ballyhooly and the O’Riordan family Watergrasshill following their recent bereavements.    


All of 45 years ago in 1976, with former Cork great and future Cork All Ireland winning coach (Centenary year in 1984) Justin McCarthy at the helm, Kilworth put in a huge effort to reach another North Cork final in which they faced Ballyhea at Buttevant.  Ballyhea (featured Jack Russell who would go onto to coach Kilworth to a county Intermediate final appearance over thirty years later in 2009)  defeated Kilworth at the semi-final stage in 1974 were playing in their third final in a row and entered the game as defending champions. Unfortunately, the game did no go to plan as the Kilworth attack were never able to get to grips with a teak tough Ballyhea rear-guard and in fact all of Kilworth’s scores on the day came from their defence as John Kenny scored five points with Johnny Hogan scoring a goal from a free in a 1-10 to 1-5 defeat. Ballyhea went on to win the County Championship and were runners up in the Intermediate grade the following year in 1977.

Here is the match account as reported at the time;

Ballyhea retain title after a tense game

Ballyhea 1-10 Kilworth 1-5 (Sunday October 10th 1976)

In the presence of a very large crown at Fr Con Buckley Memorial Park, Buttevant last Sunday, Ballyhea retained the Avondhu divisional junior hurling championship title on a 1-10 to 1-5 victory over Kilworth having led 1-3 to 0-5 at the short whistle. 

The game produced very open and tense hurling over the first half, with both sides settling in quickly to play fast and direct striking, a style in which the challenges set the pace into the breeze, against a Ballyhea defence which had regular forward Willie Shanahan at centre-back. The experiment was not a success as the latter stylist far more at home in an attacking role, did not come to grips with his new assignment and consequently the holders were regularly in jeopardy against a determined fast moving opposition. Some great covering by left cornerback Henry Greensmith, and tenacious hurling from right half-back Mickie O’Sullivan proved reliable obstacles to the challengers assaults.

Philie Ryan opened the Ballyhea scoring with a splendid point from a side-line cut in the first minute. White flags from frees per left half back John Kenny had the challengers ahead in the sixth minute. And after a Ballyhea goal was disallowed for a ‘square ‘ infringement and a ‘70’ beaten off amid a welter of very enjoyable and sporting hurling, Willie Shanahan made the scoring level in the 22nd minute when pointing a ‘70’. The same player now switched into his customary role had another Ballyhea point which was negatived by another pointed free by John Kenny, a feat he repeated twice more to put Kilworth ahead in the 27th minute. Seconds before the half-time whistle, Jack Russell placed Dermot Flynn through for Ballyhea’s solitary goal and the lead 1-3 to 0-5.

Such was the scoring pattern of the first half in which both defences were clearly on top. For Kilworth their half-back trio of Ger Sheedy, Dave Hogan in the centre and John Kenny on the left produced very determined resistance to such an extent that the opposition was compelled to reform its attach ten minutes before the interval. Jack Russell moved to the ‘40’, with Donie O’Sullivan going to full forward, Dave Ryan going into the right corner and Dermot Flynn coming to left half forward.  That switching, which later contributed to the titles retention, broke down the dour Kilworth resistance before half time and led to the champions major before the interval. It was the score which Ballyhea needed badly to lift them out of a rather unsteady first half when it was their backs who kept them closely in the game. While Kilworth did enjoy a steady attacking ball supply, there was a marked lack of finish considering that five points came from placed balls.

At centre field the Kilworth partnership, Fanahan McCormack and Willie Walsh, worked very industriously up to half-time, when the contest looked wide open, and Kilworth could then be considered in a breeze favoured second half position. As matters turned out, it was Ballyhea who ‘took the bit between their teeth’ after the resumption and moved far more confidently into the Kilworth defence where the Hogan brothers, Johnny and Dave, were key stoning a resistance which was not as quick to possession as in the opening period.

Dermot Flynn, Philie Ryan, Dave Ryan, and Willie Shanahan had points to push Ballyhea into a 1-7 to 0-5 lead in the 48th minute. By then the Kilworth assault had lost its earlier vitality and as play developed it seemed as if they would not add to their interval tally. Johnny Hogan sought to break that deadlock when goal seeking from a close in free. It was stopped at the expense of a ‘21’ penalty which was also cleared, to add fuel following exchanges saw Dave Ryan clipping over from an acute left wing angle. He was again on target with two further white flags, before Johnny Hogan netted the sole Kilworth goal from a free shortly before full time. 

To my viewing the qualities which shaped Ballyhea’s title retention were determination which stemmed at the beginning of the second half from the midfielders Connie Brazill and Patsy Hartnett who really ‘knuckled down’ to gain the upper hand. That partnership once on top never relaxed as the scores came, the champions were powered by plenty of self confidence which gradually smothered Kilworth’s movements. The versatility of the Ballhea blend as revealed in the successful charges was also a major contribution to victory.

The Kilworth side could also be deemed suspect in the stamina test, as after presenting some very fast open hurling into the breeze before half-time that style was not repeated in the second half. While Bill Russell and Lar Flynn made some daring individual efforts to come to grips with the mounting Ballyhea scoring, the forward department as a unit did not lend sufficient support or seek the use of the wings as lines of rallying attacks. Kilworth team: J O’Hanlon, M McNamara, J Hogan (1-0), P McCormack, G Sheedy, D Hogan, J Kenny (0-5), F McCormack, W Walsh, T Condon, B Russell, C O’Callaghan, J.J. Walsh, L Flynn, J O’Connor. Sub used J Dowling.


Please like our “Kilworth GAA” Facebook page (, follow us on Twitter

@KilworthGaa or check out our website @ You can also follow us on

Instagram @kilworthgaa. These pages are updated on a regular basis so keep an eye for all club activities on there!

MAIN CLUB SPONSORS: Mike Walsh Pharmacy, Ahearne’s Pub, The Village Inn, KDC Ltd, Kilally Stables and Mitchelstown Dental Clinic.

Back to top