Kilworth GAA Notes 8th April 2021 2021-04-10 11:00:00


Our lotto draw will resume next Monday night (April 12th) at 7.30pm with the jackpot standing at €7,400. Tickets cost just €2 each or 3 lines for €5 and they are available locally in O’ Sullivan’s Centra Kilworth, Online at or from any of our usual sellers. Please spread the word and best of luck to all our lotto players. Anyone paid up for the lotto prior to its suspension in late December will carry over to Monday nights draw. As always, we would like to thank you for your ongoing support.


There was a positive announcement by the Government last week that non-contact underage training in pods of 15 will be permitted from April 26th and that full contact Inter-County training at adult level can re-commence from April 19th. Hopefully, it won’t be too much longer before activity for all teams will be permitted. But for now, these are hugely welcomed developments and it allows the GAA to finally begin planning on-field activity for the remainder of 2021. They hope to have finalised updated versions of their Return to Play documents for both inter-county and club activity ahead of the stated dates for resumption of activities. However, it should also be noted that these dates are conditional and will very much depend on what happens in terms of the overall COVID-19 picture in the coming weeks. Our club grounds remain closed and thank you for your continued co-operation in this regard.


A reminder that club membership can now be paid on line by logging onto If you have any queries in relation to the system, please do not hesitate to contact club registrar Alan Kenny. It is imperative that all players and management teams are paid members in advance of a return to training.


Just a quick update on progress of the club development -  A lot of work has been progressing behind the scenes on this and we plan to go out to tender over the summer months with a view to commencing construction before the end of the year. If any member has any questions or queries in relation to the development, please do not hesitate to contact development committee chairman Liam Kenny or Secretary Alan Kenny.


The club would like to wish Pat ‘Tucky’ O’Brien a speedy recovery from his recent operation.


The club would like to extend its deepest sympathy to the Flynn family Ballyduff, the McNamara family Leitrim, Kilworth and the Flynn family Macroney, Kilworth following their recent bereavement.    


Congratulations to the newly formed Kilworth Ladies Football club on a very successful virtual 5k fun run and walk held over the Easter weekend. This event, their first fundraiser was very well supported and proved a significant financial boost to benefit the club’s progression.

REELING IN THE YEARS – NORTH CORK JUNIOR A HURLING CHAMPIONS – 1980 (Title No 5) – Continued from last week

This week we continue our look back on our junior hurling success of 1980. Last week we looked at the route to the divisional final and whilst Kilworth  managed to get over Milford in the replay with further wins over Ballygiblin and Charleville the team struggled for the type of consistency that would be required to win their firth title and the real test was the final against old rivals Castletownroche. Any meeting between these two sides always brought out the very best in hurling skills, and this game was no exception. Castletown were the holders, but this thrilling encounter at Buttevant saw them relinquish their title to a superb Kilworth fifteen.

Kilworth 4-08 Castletownroche 1-12 (Final; September 29th, 1980, Venue; Buttevant)

Following a pulsating Avondhu junior hurling championship final played in very pleasant conditions in the presence of a very large attendance, the title returned to Kilworth for the first time since 1971 on a 4-08 to 1-12 margin over holders Castletownroche who were bidding for a ‘three in a row’ grip on the championship. The game played in ideal conditions was hard, fast and physical and produced all the excitement that followers had come to expect from these two great sides.

The decisive turn came in the 41st minute when Johnny Hogan netted to put Kilworth in front for the first time on a two-point margin. With six minutes remaining in a gripping final and the score Kilworth (3-7), Castletownroche (1-11), Fanahan McCormack netted Kilworth’s 4th goal, a score that certainly signposted the destination of the title.

The clash proved a highly entertaining display of crisp open hurling, punctuated by regular flashes of neat and artistic stickwork, making the hour one of the best finals seen over recent years in the Avondhu barony. Both teams finished the game with fourteen men.

Kilworth overcame a rather shaky first quarter, at the end of which the opposition led on the score 1-4 to 0-2 (Johnny Hogan and Pat Greehy 0-1 each), to come more impressively into the final nearing half time when they trailed 1-6 to 2-2. The victors first brace of goals per Johnny Hogan and Paddy Flynn came in the 26th and 27th minutes to give ample notice to the title holders that they had a tough second half ahead. 

The defending champions had the first major of the game when Dave Relihan was on hand to finish to the net. The Kilworth goals came before the interval to bring the sides to level terms for the second time. Castletownroche took the lead just before the break. Over the first half it was very evident that the Kilworth half back line of Kevin McCarthy, Dave Hogan, and John Kenny, once the side settled in, were a controlling force. Dave McCarthy and Fanahan McCormack in midfield began to dominate in determined fashion as the challenger’s attack secured a ready ball supply entering the second quarter, a service that was readily availed of especially securing both quick successive goals before the interval. 

A minute after the resumption, a Kilworth point from Pat Shanahan had the sides on level terms for the third time. A well taken white flag from Castletownroche pushed them ahead once more while at the other end the loser’s goalie made a spectacular save from Pat Flynn at the expense of a ‘65’.

The sides were level again in the 39th minute when Christy O’Callaghan raised Kilworth’s fourth white flag. This score was negatived promptly by Castletown as the game at this stage had reached a very speedy and thrilling level. 

Johnny Hogan goaled in the 41st minute to put Kilworth ahead for the first time 3-4 to 1-8. A pointed free from John Kenny stretched the lead before Castletownroche points in the 47th and 51st minutes had the title back in the ‘melting pot’. At this stage the final was building up to a tantalising climax and once again Johnny Hogan came to Kilworth’s rescue when pointing. Midfielder Dave McCarthy added another, before Castletownroche replied leaving the score 3-7 to 1-11. With six minutes remaining and following a few missed Castletownroche chances, Fanahan McCormack netted Kilworth’s fourth goal and Kilworth were closing in on regaining the title after a lapse of nine years. Nearing full time Castletownroche added their closing score, a point, before a pointed free from John Kenny rang down the curtain on a thrilling and memorable game. The second half truly brought out the best in both sides. Under the test of pace Kilworth ultimately proved their fitter blend, especially after the third goal from Hogan. After the game chairman of the North Cork board Derry Gowen presented the cup to Kilworth captain Dave Hogan. Team and scorers: J Hanlon, M McNamara, T Shanahan, P McCormack, K McCarthy, D Hogan (Captain) J Kenny (0-2), D McCarthy (0-1), F McCormack (1-0), P Flynn (1-0), P Greehy (0-1), J.J. Walsh, C O’Callaghan (0-1), J Lynch, J Hogan (2-2). Subs Used; P Shanahan (0-1) for J.J. Walsh, J O’Connor for T Shanahan. 

Having been crowned North Cork Champions, it was City side Delany’s that provided the opposition in the county quarter final. This game played in Castlelyons ended in deadlock and so the sides had to meet again. A win would result in a semi- final clash with East Cork representatives Aghada.

Kilworth 1-10 Delany’s 1-10 (County QF; October 5th, 1980, Venue; Castlelyons)

In an opening half which saw the sides level on three occasions, both sides scored rather fortuitous goals with Kilworth’s coming from Johnny Hogan in the 14th minute after the Delany’s keeper failed to hold a shot from outfield. Delany’s had their goal on the stroke of half time to leave the city side 1-6 to 1-5 ahead at the interval. Both sides exchanged points in the opening minutes of the second half and were on level terms twice in the third quarter. Leading by two points with twelve minutes remaining Kilworth appeared to gain the initiative when Delany’s had a player sent to the line. However, it was now that the City side really came back into the game and two points from frees brought them level and in the closing minutes both sides missed a couple of chances of snatching victory. Kilworth scorers: J Kenny (0-6) all frees, J Hogan (1-0), P Flynn (0-2), C O’Callaghan & D McCarthy (0-1 each)

Kilworth 2-11 Delany’s 2-8 (County QF replay; October 19th, 1980, Venue; Castlelyons)

The quarter final replay at the same venue enthralled the large attendance with fast open hurling throughout and never more than a goal between the side. Both teams showed changes in their line up from the drawn game, and Kilworth’s Pat Greehy, who had been unavailable then, certainly added scoring power and perhaps was one of the main reasons for their advancing to the semi-final. Kilworth had a tonic start with a Christy O’Callaghan goal after only two minutes. Delany’s lost no time in retaliating and goaled three minutes later. Both sides had their period of dominance in an opening half that was fast and furious but a second goal for Delany’s in the 25th minute gave them a 2-4 to 1-5 interval lead.

The third quarter was again a ding dong struggle with both sides exchanging points but the breakthrough for Kilworth came in the 49th minute when Fanahan McCormack, who had switched from midfield to corner forward deflected a ball that appeared to be going wide to the Delany’s net. This score put Kilworth in a lead they would never subsequently relinquish. Kilworth Scorers; P Greehy (0-4 – frees), F McCormack (1-1), J Kenny (0-3 – frees), C O’Callaghan (1-0), J Hogan (0-2), P Flynn (0-1).

Following this great display, it was onto the semi-final of the county and a meeting with East Cork side Aghada. As with previous games we had a huge following of supporters, not only from the parish but from throughout the division. Riverstown was the venue on this occasion and the atmosphere was electric throughout the hour.

(Continued next week)


Please like our “Kilworth GAA” Facebook page (, follow us on Twitter

@KilworthGaa or check out our website @ You can also follow us on

Instagram @kilworthgaa. These pages are updated on a regular basis so keep an eye for all club activities on there!

MAIN CLUB SPONSORS: Mike Walsh Pharmacy, Ahearne’s Pub, The Village Inn, KDC Ltd, Kilally Stables and Mitchelstown Dental Clinic.

Back to top