Secretaries Report 2009


Kilworth GAA Club

Date: Thursday November 26th 2009

Venue:  Clubroom

Annual general meeting of Kilworth GAA club held in the clubrooms on Thursday 26th, 2009. 

Rev. father, club president, fellow members it is my privilege to present to you my report on the activities of the club both on and off the playing field for the year ended 2009. It was a very progressive year on the playing and development front.

First I will deal with playing activity.  The year began with our Intermediate hurlers contesting the Sean O’Murchu Cup semi final on November 29th, 2008 and ended on Tuesday November 9th, 2009 with a minor football county championship semi final.


First we will look at the Evening Echo sponsored Cork County intermediate hurling championship.  In the first round we played Milford on May 2nd in Kildorrery. Since the draw was made in early December this tie wet the appetite of North Cork GAA supporters. After a tough and tense encounter a well prepared and focused team gained revenge for last years third round defeat with a 0-16 to 0-13 win. The heavy pitch and weather conditions were not conducive to a classic. While some good goal chances were missed the highlight of this game was some outstanding long-range points from play but mainly from free’s. This win secured out intermediate status for 2010 and in a way took the pressure off. On agreement with Milford and the County Board this game trebled up with 2009 league points on offer and as the outstanding 2008 league final. Therefore not only securing safe passage to round 3 of the championship this win provided the clubs first silverware at intermediate level. A very proud Damien McNamara accepted the cup from Board PRO Ger Lane. There was also a substantial financial windfall of £4,450 to the club for winning this competition which was to help significantly in the running and preparing the team for the remainder of the year. The quarter-final and semi final of this competition versus Eire Og and Carrigaline respectively, were outstanding and played since last years AGM.

Back to the championship, and we were drawn to play Kilbrittain in the third round on June 12th at Ballincollig. This was our third consecutive year taking on Kilbrittain in the championship with one win a piece. This game ended in a draw 0-14 to 1-11 after a good keenly contested hours hurling. We could and probably should have one this game but could also have very easily lost it in the end. We started very well with an excellent opening 10 minute spell, but didn’t get the scores when on top and only led by two points 0-8 to 0-6 at half time. Kilbrittain got a crucial goal in the second half that rocked us and brought them right back into contention. Once they got level we again forged 2 points ahead but they again equalized before the final whistle sounded. League points were also up for grabs in this game and another valuable point was secured.

The replay took place 7 days later at a magnificent Cloughduv complex following a late change in venue that morning. Following a vastly improved performance from the drawn game we emerged victorious 2-11 to 1-7. There was a better spread of scores from the previous encounter, with two goals bagged and some excellent defending throughout. We cruised into a 2-6 to 0-1 lead in the first 20 minutes. It was always going to be hard to sustain this pace and level of performance and our opponents were always going to have a spell of domination. They scored 1-2 without reply to leave it 2-6 to 1-3 at half time. 3 bad wides from Kilbrittain with the wind at their backs while on top on the restart helped our cause. They did pull the lead back to 3 points 2-7 to 1-7 but some shroud tactical substitutions and positional switches that prevented Kilbrittain running at us like in the drawn game ensured we combated their comeback attempt finishing the game strongly, running out deserving winners by 7 points.

This win set up a mouth watering quarter-final tie V Bandon played in Ballincollig on July 17th. While not playing to full potential we emerged winners by 3 points 2-13 to 0-16 against a team who contested the last two county finals at this grade. Two goals at vital stages were the difference in this game. The first goal brought us back into the game after Bandon took early scores while we missed chances. The second goal came in the last 10 minutes when we got on top after struggling for periods in the half. This score proved the winning of the game. Our level of fitness was very evident in this match and was a key factor in the victory, we stood up to Bandon physically and gave as good as we got. It was great to qualify for the semi final getting back to the same stage as two years ago especially after the disappointment of last year.

We had a long seven-week wait for our semi final clash with Blackrock but the time was spent well playing several challenges. Played in their back yard at Pairc Ui Rinn on September 5th we had 4 points to spare following a tougher than expected game against a strong physical side. The knocks and injuries picked up in the game were testament to this. We did not play up to scratch in this game, missing a lot of scores and becoming very defensive in the second half. However, semi finals are for winning first and foremost and this was achieved by 0-17 to 0-13, with the team making history qualifying for the clubs first ever intermediate hurling final. Leaving the venue that evening it was evident that an improved performance was required for the championship decider after coming through the tougher side of the draw.

In contrast to a seven-week wait for the semi final we had only eight days to prepare for a tilt at a first county final at this level. There was an air of anticipation around the village for the week leading up to this day, with flags and bunting hanging off every available pole, and lines on the road in the village turning red and white.

Played on Sunday September 13th at Pairc Ui Chaoimh against Valley Rover the game ended in disappointing defeat by 4 points 1-17 to 1-13 despite the valiant efforts of our courageous team.

We started well but drifted out of the game after the opening 10 minutes. Valley Rovers were a strong, physical, experienced team who exerted extreme pressure on our midfield and defense in the last twenty minutes of the first half. If we got more ball into our inside forwards it might have been a different story but our defense were under constant pressure to clear their lines. The concession of an early second half goal proved very costly. However, at nine points down 10 minutes into the second half many teams would have folded, but the lads dug deep with a never say die attitude. We tagged on some fine points and this was followed by a goal to reduce the arrears to two points with time on the clock. Nevertheless, we were unable to get back level or take the lead and in truth the better team won on this occasion. If we got another goal from a number of chances the result may have been different but a spirited display was not enough to win on the day.

The lack of scoring forwards is a concern going forward with one player accounting for 1-9 out of out total score of 1-13. We also conceded some costly frees in the game.

In hindsight if we had an extra week between semi-final and final it may have been to our advantage. No championship game in 7 weeks followed by two massive games in 8 days took its toll with a number of players receiving physio right throughout the week leading up to the game.

To lose was gutting for all concerned. County finals are hard to come by and it will be difficult to get back to this stage again. These are a great bunch of lads who worked extremely hard and made a huge effort all year. While the team appeared tired last year with the exertions of the previous 4 years catching up with them, there was a spring in their step and renewed eagerness this year. Jack Russell has brought this bunch of players on with his excellent style of coaching. His passion, enthusiasm and professionalism certainly rubbed off on the players.

I have no doubt when they assemble again next year with a full squad of players, we will again be a force to be reckoned with. The progress of this team throughout the championship should be viewed as a foundation on which to build. The potential remains within the panel. These players have brought much success and pride to our club during the past 5 years and if they can rekindle the hunger, we won’t be too far off the mark next year.

With the appointment of a very effective and proactive County Board, PRO, Ger Lane the 2009 Rochestown Park Hotel Intermediate league was restructured into 3 divisions made up of the 32 teams from the Premier Intermediate and Intermediate A grades. As a result of qualifying for the semi final of the 2008 league we were placed in division 2 for this year thus ensuring some important games against premier intermediate teams. Following wins over Argideen Rangers, Carrigaline, Milford, Aghada, Douglas, and draws with Newcestown and Kilbrittain with a walkover from Aghabullohue we amassed enough points to qualify for the league final against Douglas, who had captured the Premier Intermediate Championship. Played under lights at Pairc Ui Rinn on October 27th we were defeated by 2 points 3-10 to 1-14. The team played well considering it was 6 weeks since the county final and we were unlucky to lose in a tough physical game against a team who were preparing for a Munster championship and who hope to perform well at senior level for 2010. While we defeated them in the summer, weather conditions were much tougher for this game. We had chances near the end to win it but it didn’t materialize. If we can repeat the same level of performance next year we will be there or there about’s again.

While falling short in winning the league title the same format will be in place next season for the league and due to qualifying for the final we have secured division 1 status that will ensure better games against premier sides in preparation for championship and that can only be of benefit to us. The club also received 1,000 as runners up in the competition. This was presented to club chairman at a function held by the sponsors at the Rochestown Park Hotel on Monday night.

This team I reckon played a total of 31 games since last years AGM, with 16 competitive games between, outstanding 2008 Sean O’Murchu and league game and 2009 championship and league games and 15 challenge games including trips to Kilkenny and Tipperary for games.

No stone was left unturned in preparing the team this year with the management getting the clubs full support at all times. The coach, manager, selectors and statistician in their first year in charge put in great time and effort in preparing the team for championship and they are to be commended for this.


In the first round of the Shreelawn Oil junior hurling championship we played Kilshannig in Ballyhooly on May 24th. This game ended in a very pleasing win by 2-16 to 1-15. We struggled in the opening period where we conceded a soft goal. Some positional switches worked well, with the lads putting in a fine second half performance to emerge deserving winners by four points.

Round three saw us pitted against fellow parishioners Araglen for the second consecutive year. Player in Fermoy on August 8th this turned out to be a cliff hanger of a game. While our opponents came from behind late on last year to win, it was our turn to reverse that result with an injury time point from a 65 giving us a one point winning margin by 2-10 to 1-12 in a fine tough game.  The first half was evenly balanced, we scored a good goal but Araglen pulled us back by half time. The second half was also a tight affair. We took the lead before Araglen goaled and the initiative appeared to swing in their favour. The lads plugged away, were playing well but missed some chances. We got a second goal to lead late on. Araglen again equalized before we secured victory with a magnificent injury time point to set up a semi final clash with Ballyclough.

This game was played in Kildorrery on August 30th. While we were outsiders going into this game a fantastic second half performance helped secure a great win by 2-15 to 3-10. We were not at the races in the first quarter with Ballyclough rushing into a 2-4 to 0-0 lead. An off the ball incident to one of our players was the catalyst that spurred the team into life.  We began to settle got a vital goal from a long range free and gradually got back into contention reducing the deficit to 5 points at the interval. In the second half we slowly got back to touching distance with some fine points. A second vital goal brought us back level and we drove on from there for an excellent win and deserved place in the North Cork Final.

In the decider played in Castletownroche on Sunday September 27th a strong Buttevant side defeated us 2-15 to 0-14. We again started poorly and conceded some very soft frees that were punished by our opponents. We struggled in several positions in the first half, conceded a soft goal and trailed by eight points at the break. Changes at half time worked as the lads stormed into the game scoring some top class points and reducing the arrears to the bare minimum. However, we could not get level or take the lead and Buttevants experience told in the last quarter as they pulled away to secure victory. The final scoreline did not do justice to the teams efforts in this contest. It was a gutsy performance but in the end Buttevant had stronger players in vital areas of the field as is to be expected as this is their first team.

While again it was disappointing to lose there was good progress made from last year. Despite final defeat this was a very positive year for our second team. The back door was avoided and we qualified for the final taking some big scalps along the way. The panel was limited with key players lost to the intermediate team during the season. However, there are some fine young players emerging from minor ranks and we have to look to the future and build from here for next year. The benefit of the junior panel training with the Intermediates is very evident and benefits both sets of players.

I would like to thank the team manager, coach, and selectors for their time, effort and a fine job done. As with the Intermediate team no stone was left unturned in preparing this team for the final. A number of challenge games were also played during the year. 

In the Division 3 hurling league we played 3 games winning two with one loss and we also received a walkover to qualify for semi final where our opponents were Kilshannig. This game was played in Kildorrery on November 1st.  Unfortunately like the corresponding game last year we struggled to field a team and were heavily defeated. After a great championship run it was disappointing not to gain promotion to division two for next year.


In the Fermoy Credit Union junior football championship we played Doneraile in Round 1 on May 17th in Mitchelstown.  Having very little preparation in advance of this game the lads played very well in bad conditions especially in the second half scoring 3-7 to win comfortably 3-9 to 1-5. The next round a quarter final tie against Kilshannig in Kilavullen on July 24th, who we defeated at the same stage last year, ended in a draw 0-7 a piece. Again with very little work done in fact two training sessions since the first round the team played very well and were very unlucky not to win. A few mistakes and stray passes proved costly in the end. The performance of the referee came in for some justified critisism following this game.

Entering the replay seven days (July 31st) later at the same venue thoughts were we left the game after us in the drawn game. However, the lads were excellent on the night and qualified for the semi final with a convincing 2-8 to 1-4 win. While we thought the drawn game would have been of benefit to Kilshannig, the opposite was the case as it was our lads who improved from it.

We had now reached the semi final where we met Churchtown in Castletownroche on Friday August 14th. Preparations were not ideal for this game and we were defeated 3-11 to 1-11. Up to the Tuesday night before we had been preparing for the Intermediate hurling semi final we believed would go ahead on the 16th. Once it was apparent this game would not go ahead the football semi final went ahead on the 14th. We tried to get this game off but the board and our opponents would not agree. The confusion over the fixture, 5 players missing due to injury and holidays and the lack of preparation before the game showed with a poor opening twenty minutes. However, a goal before the break brought us back into it by half time. We were the better team in the second half but chances missed and mistakes made were crucial. Churchtowns second goal was a killer after we cut the deficit to one point. They pulled away for a six-point win that flattered them.  Missing 5 players from the previous game didn’t help matters. At one stage it appeared we would not be able to fulfill this fixture, but a number of players turned up on the night and we are grateful for this. If we did not field this could have had repercussions for other teams in the club in terms of disciplinary action. But in light or what happened subsequent to this with the board postponing the final on Churchtown request it is hard to see how this could have been the case.

Again this year it was hard to get a manager and selectors for this team due to a club decision to put out energies into the pursuit of intermediate hurling success. The team acquitted themselves well in the championship and the team manager, coach and selectors are to be thanked for their time and effort.

In the division 1 football league we played 4 games, losing 3 with 1 draw. We also conceded 2 walkovers. As a result we are relegated to Division 2 following 1 season in the top grade.


At U21 level we reached the final in both codes for the second consecutive year again an encouraging sign for the future.

In hurling we played Doneraile in the quarter final at Mitchelstown on June 27th. Here we had a very comfortable win 4-15 to 0-5 in a very one-sided encounter. The game was effectively over as a contest at half time and we learned very little from it. The semi final against Ballyhea took place in Shanballymore on August 22nd. Following a tight game for 50 minutes we pulled away in the closing stages for an impressive 3-17 to 3-5 win. As with many of the games in other grades reported on thus far we again started poorly, not playing up to stratch in the opening 20 minutes and conceding two soft goals.  From here on in the team played very well and while a third goal was conceded a strong finish ensued. A penalty save when only 3 points separated the sides with ten minutes to go was the turning point in this game with the lads pulling away strongly towards the end.

The final versus Kilshannig was due to be played last Saturday, 3 months since the semi final. This game fell foul of the dreadful weather conditions we sustained over the past number of weeks. It is re fixed for this coming Saturday and we wish the team and their mentors the very best of luck. Thanks to the team manager and selectors for mentoring this team to back to back finals.

As in recent years this particular championship gets pushed out towards the end of the fixture list. The timing of the competition, without a definite slot in the calendar, is run off when all else is over and the weather is no longer ideal for hurling which belies a talented and entertaining grade.


We entered the U21 football championship as defending champions taking on Awbeg Rangers at the semi final stage in Ballyhooly on March 21st. This was our first championship game of the year. Following a fine performance we emerged winners by 4-9 to 2-9. After a good start, kicking some excellent scores we went in level at halftime after playing against a strong breeze in the first half. Even though we conceded two soft goals we battled back scoring four goals ourselves at vital stages of the game. Shane Kenny picked up a serious knee injury in this game that would rule him out for the remainder of the year.

A week later in Kildorrery we took on Charleville in the final, our fourth final at U21 level in a row. We won the B grade competition in 2008 and 2006, while unluckily losing the A final in 2007.

There was nothing unlucky about a 7-5 to 0-8 defeat in this decider. As he score suggests we conceded a barrage of goals while struggling in key positions around the field. Approaching half time we appeared to be coming back into the game but the concession of a goal either side of the interval killed off this contest. In a way this game was the opposite to the semi final as we conceded goals at key stages and could not score them ourselves. The lads tried their best but were just not good enough on the day. A big thank you and well done to the coach and selectors for their time and efforts getting this team to the final.


At minor level we reached the North Cork Championship and League finals in both hurling and football. It was a brilliant year for this panel of players that I hope we hear a lot more about in the future.


In minor A hurling championship we were defeated in the opening round by Ballycoskery Rovers 2-17 to 2-12 before recovering to record victories over Harbour Rovers 1-14 to 0-15, Ballygiblin 1-17 to 2-6 and Charleville 0-16 to 2-7, to set up a re match with Ballycoskery Rovers in the final. Hopes were high entering this game after some fine performances enroute. However, on the night the lads never performed to their potential and we were defeated by 3 points 0-15 to 0-12.  On the night the Ballyhea/Liscarroll combination were the better team and deserving winners. They took the scoring chances that presented getting scores at vital stages when we needed them to close the gap.

While disappointing to lose the final not many people would have predicted getting to the final at the outset of the season. We did not want to be in the A grade at the start of the year and in fact appealed it to the County Minor Board but to no avail. In hindsight the decision of the board was the correct one as playing in the higher A grade has brought on some of the players in leaps and bounds and the future is bright at U21, junior and intermediate level for many of these players. This is a fine team that was very well coached. To reach the A final was a great achievement and the coach and selectors are to be congratulated on a job well done.

At  the time of last years AGM the 2008 county minor B hurling league final was an outstanding fixture. This game went ahead in Fermoy on December 7th where we had to give way to a stronger Castlelyons outfit in tough weather conditions.

In this year’s A league we had four wins from four games played and have qualified for the final. This game had yet to be played at the time of writing this report. We await the winners of Ballycoskey Rovers and Charleville in the final. Due to a County Minor Board deadline Ballycoskery have been nominated for the county league. 


The North Cork double was secured by our minor B footballers following a very successful year.

The league phase of the championship was very disjointed with a number of teams pulling out with walkovers conceded. However, we could only play what was put in front of us. Wins over Erins Hope 4-18 to 0-2, Mill Rovers 5-11 to 0-2 and Awbeg Rangers 4-8 to 3-8, and walkovers from Blackwater Rovers and Kildorrery set up a final appearance against Awbeg Rangers. The final played in Kildorrery on September 19th proved a big success for the club. It was our 4th final of the year and our first and only championship win this year to date with one final remaining. 

Following a pulsating affair we had the bare minimum to spare at the final whistle, winning by 3-10 to 4-6. We were slow out of the blocks and trailed 1-2 to 0-0 early on. We slowly got back into it and finished the half strongly to lead 2-5 to 1-3 at the break. The Buttevant side blitzed us with 2-2 to 0-1 on the resumption. A lot of teams would have dropped their heads and thrown in the towel at this stage. This was not the case as the lads battled on giving it their all and getting their just deserts with a late goal to hold on for a one point winning margin.  This was an excellent win and was extra special as the competition is in memory of the late Richard Clancy. Susan Clancy along with her son Dylan were on hand to present the Richard Clancy Memorial Cup to a delighted captain Liam Whelan.

In the county quarter-final we again edged the game by 1 point 2-8 to 1-10 after extra time. Castlelyons on their own turf proved tough opponents. While the lads were not at their best on the day the lapse of a month since the North Cork Final was evident. The pleasing aspect of this win was the team fought back from behind on a number of occasions. Two goals, one at a crucial stage in the second period of extra time was the clinching score.

This win set up a semi final tie against Kilmurry in Mallow under light on November 10th. Extra time was again required to settle the outcome of this game but we came out on the wrong side of a 1-17 to 1-11 scoreline. The 6-point margin was not a true reflection on the game. We dominated the second quarter but did not build up enough of a lead by half time. Kilmurry kicked 6 points in concession to go from 3 points behind to 3 points up with ten minutes remaining. We goaled from a penalty rebound in the 60th minute to lead by a point. Kilmurry equalized in injury time to take it to extra time. While we scored first they lead by 2 points at half time and an early second period from a goal ended the contest.

While again disappointing to lose the North Cork title was the objective at the start of the year and this was accomplished. With Kilmurry going on to win the county final convincingly it shows we were not that far off the mark. Congratulations to the team manager, coach and selectors on a great season. It is a major plus to have some former and current players getting involved with mentoring our minor teams in hurling and football. The players have great respect for them and in turn the commitment is displayed with improvement in performances.

 In the minor football league we had 4 wins and 1 loss to qualify for the final where we easily accounted for Awbeg Rangers by 1-7 to 0-2.  We are due to play Crosshaven in the county league but at the time of writing this report no fixture has been confirmed. 

In all we played 77 games during the year, with 3 games at least remaining.


I would like to thank all players, team managers, coaches, selectors, trainer, and mentors for their time, effort, dedication and commitment to Kilworth GAA club in both hurling and football during the past year. I would like to also thank them all for their cooperation and courtesy in any dealings I had with them during the course of the year.

Our players are our greatest asset and we are grateful to them for all their efforts and sacrifices on behalf of the club, and for the immense pleasure they give us each year.

Every team needs help and leadership and for that we depend on our managers, coaches, selectors and mentors who are all to be commended for their huge effort throughout the year.

Despite the lack of championship trophies for our adult teams, it was nevertheless a long and busy year on the playing field and we acquitted ourselves very well in all competitions.

While ultimate championship success was scarce we made progress in all hurling grades reaching the minor, U21, junior and intermediate finals and this has to be encouraging for the year ahead. While our junior and U21 footballers did not do as well as 2008 our minor footballers kept the flag flying with their championship success. We have to build on this progression and look positively to 2010.  To add the U21 title on Saturday would round off a satisfactory year and we can look ahead to the new season with certain optimism. 


I would like to congratulate the juvenile club on another busy and successful 2009 and compliment officers, coaches and selectors for their great work and dedication with such a large number of players. Championship hurling titles were won at U11, U12, U14, and U16 with the U14’s reaching the county final and winning the football league also. The VHI Cull Camps were a big success again this year. As at minor level it is good to see some current and former adult players getting involved in coaching at juvenile level.  This is very welcome and should be continuously encouraged.

I would like to thank the teachers of Scoil Naoimh Martin for encouraging and promoting our games amongst their pupils.

I would like to congratulate the handball club, especially Michael Dunne and John Horgan for the great work they are doing and wish them well for 2010. Another very successful year was had, the highlight of which was both Dion Cahill and Michael Dunne Jnr winning Munster and All Ireland title’s. Our club in conjunction with the Handball club made a presentation to both Dion and Michael in recognition of a fantastic achievement. Juvenile membership of the club thriving and is growing year on year with a big increase of girls taking up the game. Former players are also getting involved with coaching and returning to playing the game and this can only be good for the future of the club helping ensure it will continue to prosper. 

Sean Keane continues to flourish at racquetball and I would like to congratulate him on capturing, All Ireland and European medals in the past year and wish him continued success for 2010.

I would like to congratulate the squash club and it officers following a very successful year. They continue to get big numbers for their internal competitions and are faring very well in external tournaments. Their Division 4 team won the Munster title earlier in the year which was a significant achievement. 

Handball, Squash and Raquetball would not be possible without the fine Sports Complex adjacent to our grounds and we congratulate the officer and committee members who continually maintain and improve a priceless facility for the young and not so young of the parish.

I would like to congratulate Adrian Mannix who was part of the Cork Intermediate hurling team that captured the Munster and All Ireland titles this year and wish him well with his inter county endeavors for the season ahead. Well done to Thomas Twomey represent London in senior hurling championship in the past year.

I would like to congratulate all club players and members who represented the Avondhu division at any level during the year be it as player or mentor. I would like to say well done to club players who represented St Colman’s College, Colaiste An Chraoibhin or any third level colleges over the past year. 


Last December the club made a long over due presentation to John Twomey in recognition of outstanding service to the club holding the position as club secretary with distinction continuously for 19 years. John remains at the heart of the club being always on hand to help out. 


A medal presentation night for our 2008 successes, namely, U21 football championship win, Division 2 football league win and minor hurling league success was held in The Corbett Court on February 27th. Before a satisfactory attendance a enjoyable night was had by all. 


To mark the 125th anniversary of the foundation of the association La na gClub was held on Sunday May 10th Both juvenile and adult club members paraded from the square to the church where mass was said in remembrance of deceased members of the club. Thanks to Fr Leahy for offering this mass and for his glowing tribute for the work the club does for the parish and the community. After mass the juvenile club held various activities in the pitch. 


There was great progress in terms of developments at out club grounds during the year under the guidance and stewardship of development chairman Alan Kenny.

At last years AGM development plans for 2009 were outline to those in attendance namely the erection of floodlights on the second field and the development of a training area. It is very pleasing to report both of these have been achieved. 

 Both projects are paid up to date. John Keane Electrical was the contractor for lighing the pitch and the total cost was €141,171.30. This was funded by the draw down of the €70,000k National Lottery funding we were awarded last year. The balance was made up of an 80,000 loan secured from AIB bank. I would like to thank Mike Walsh for his time and efforts in securing this loan. I would like to thank John Hegarty for his work and efforts in securing amended planning permission for the pitch lighting due to the decision of our AGM in September 2008 to light the second pitch in lieu of the first pitch.

The cost of the groundwork associated with the training area completed by Sean Kelly, of €37,000 was funded by the money we raised as part of our 3-month draw in the summer months of 2008.  I would like to thank those who fenced off the training area once completed.

Due to an error in the county council office where they mislead our planning application for lighting the training area we had to complete the whole process again. This was a big inconvenience but many thanks to John Hegarty and Alan Kenny for their diligence in completing the task once more. We were awarded full planning permission in the last few weeks but due to weather conditions it was decide to hold off standing the lights until the New Year. The ducking is in place for the lights. 


A decision was taking during the year to replace the netting behind all four goals. This was funded 50/50 between both the adult and juvenile club. The total cost was €4,200. I would like to thank Alan Kenny for pricing and organizing this and to those who gave of their time on a number of Saturdays to complete this project.  This rounded off a great year in terms of development, with our club grounds the envy of many clubs around. Well done to Alan and for his time and commitment  to club development. 


As already mentioned the club has obtained an €80,000 loan from AIB that was used to cover the cost of lights to the second pitch. The period of the loan is to 30/11/2019. The period of agreement was 10 payments over 11 years with interest only on the first year. Under the terms of the loan the first payment of €11,850.09 is due on 30/11/2010. However as a result of the funds raised from our Golf Classic we were in a position to pay €10,000 off the loan recently.

I would like to thank Mike Walsh for securing this loan in very trying times. A lot of red tape had to be in place to get this loan sanctioned. County Board and Munster Council approval was required therefore there was a lot of communication, documentation to be completed by trustees etc. 


We have applied for a Munster Council Grant for lighting the second pitch. Our submission was sent to the County Board for forwarding to the Munster Council by the deadline at the end of August. As the work has to be completed in order to apply for this grant both the Treasurer and Development Officer of the County board inspected the completed project back in September. Details of grants to be awarded are due to be announced in December. I would like to thank Alan Kenny for putting together this detailed application. We plan to apply for a Munster Council Grant for the training area next year. 


As reported at last years AGM plans we were in the initial stages of organizing a golf classic. Mitchelstown Golf club was booked for Friday May 15th, 2009.This event was launched at our medal presentation night on Februaury 27th.

Following excellent planning and preparation by both Alan Kenny and John Hegarty the clubs first annual golf classic was duly held in Mitchelstown Golf Club on May 15th and was a huge success both socially and financially. 54 teams played on the day, which was excellent giving the prevailing economic climate at the time. Tee boxes and greens were also well sponsored with the raffle well supported. We are very grateful to all those who went out and sold the event and also our tickets sellers, those who entered teams and played and our prize sponsors. Mitchelstown Golf club was very helpful providing great food and hospitality. I would like to thank Alan Kenny and John Hegarty and their helpers on organizing a fantastic event. I would like to thank the Greehy family and Cavanagh’s Ford, Fermoy for backing this fundraising venture as joint main sponsors. Members of the Greehy family were on hand to present prizes in the Village Inn on the night of the event. Brian Carey representing Cavanagh’s presented non GUI prizes in Jimmys Bar, where food was provided.

The event raised £11,532 which was a fine return and thus securing the fund required to pay off the first installment of the loan. 


 I would like to thank the Board of Management of Scoil Naoimh Martin along with Fr Leahy and school principle Eillen O Keeffe for the use of the magnificent school hall for circuit training earlier in the year. I would also like to thank them for permission to park cars in the school grounds for certain matches held during the year. This was of huge benefit. 


At the time of writing there are 140 paid up members in the Club down 13 on 2008 and 48 on 2007. This is a worrying trend. It would be great to see many new members joining, as well as old members re-joining the club for 2010.  


Our weekly club lotto is our main source of income and it is important that it is well supported. A bigger effort will have to be put into this draw going forward to ensure sufficient funds to run the club.  The more people selling would increase the money taken in, for the day-to-day running of the club.

A special word of thanks must go to Dave Hogan, John O’Connor and John Condon for the running of this draw on a weekly basis. The money John Condon brings in weekly is vital to the weekly cashflow of the club

Yearly membership is still available for 2010 at a cost of €90 for 50 weekly draws. This works out at 5 free draws for those who avail of this option.


In the County Board Members Club draw we had 152 members prior to the first two draws for September and October that  were held late in October. This is a drop of 40 members since 2008. This may be attributable to a combination of the current economic climate and the conflict between the County Board and the Cork senior hurling team earlier in the year. However in the times we live in 152 members is a satisfactory number. In financial terms a drop of 40 is £1800 less in funds to the club for the year. The majority of this loss was offset by pushing annual lotto subscriptions to players and by converting some people no interested in joining county board members club draw to annual lotto. The club has earned just over $43k in the last 5 years which shows this draw is of huge financial benefit to the club and I would like to thank draw co-ordinators Patsy O’Mahony, and Mossie McNamara for the huge amount of time and work put into it. A big thank you also to those who bring in members annually. Sean Hegarty was unable to sell the draw this year due to other commitments. I would like to thank him sincerely for his time and effort towards this draw over the years. When we sat down to distribute Sean list of members from last year we saw the amount of work involved. John Hegarty tool a big portion of these, thanks John .As with our lotto a bigger effort is required in selling this draw to help in the day to day running of the club. More sellers are required and this is something that should be looked at for 2010.


I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank Ger Walsh for coming on board as sponsor to our intermediate team again this year. He has proved a very generous sponsor over the past 3 years and the club has had reasonable success in that time. Thanks also to our other sponsors for their support during the year namely The Village Inn, Jimmys Bar, Cotters Bar, Mike Walsh, Mick Fitzerald, Araglen, Tom Howard and Butch Cotter.

We wish them every success in the future and I would urge all our members to support our sponsors whenever possible.


On my own behalf and on behalf of the club I would like to offer sincere sympathy to all those who suffered bereavements during the year. Only a short few weeks ago Bill Coughlan passed to his eternal reward. Bill a club vice president at the time of his death was a great club worker and supporter, who never let the club down when asked. He was a staunch GAA man, always part and parcel of this club and the association in general always willing to help out as umpire when requested.

In early July former club player Christy O’Callaghan passed away.

Ar dheis De go raimh a n-anamnacha.


We held 50 weekly club meetings since last years AGM on November 27th 2008 and I would like to thank all those who attended these meetings.  We had between 10 and 12 on average attending each week. I would like to thank and congratulate the executive committee for their hard work and dedication throughout the year.


I would like to thank Tom Howard for the great work he is doing in keeping the pitches in such fine condition and all those who helped with pitch and stand tidy ups during the year especially the juvenile club.

I would also, like to thank the juvenile club for the fine work carried out with tiling and overhaul of the mens and womens toilets during the year.

Thanks to Mick Twomey for offering his services as club referee during the year and the members of the club who acted as umpires and linesman for him. Thanks also to Sean Beecher who also made himself available on occasion.

Thanks to those who helped out with games played at our venue during the year. The biggest game held was the Premier Intermediate clash of Watergrasshill and Ballyhea. 

A big thank you to Catherine Mannix who took on the onerous task of washing a number of sets of jerseys throughout the year. This was very much appreciated by the club and the players.

Thanks also to Sheila O’Brien, Sheila O’Mahony, Magaret Hegarty and Catherine O’Connor for providing food and refreshments following matches and training session throughout the year.

Thanks to those who decorated the village in red and while in the days leading up to the county final. This was heart warming to see and again appreciated by the players.

I would like to thank our PRO, Kenneth Condon for his excellent reporting of games and club notes in the local press over the year. He has been great help to me all year and for that I am very grateful.

I would like to thank North Cork Board Rep John Twomey and County Board rep Fergus Flynn for attending their respective meetings on a forthnightly basis and reporting back to our weekly meetings. Thanks also to Jack Quirke who attended County Board meetings on occasion earlier in the year.

Special thanks also to Mike Walsh in his capacity as Insurance officer and team medic during the year. Thanks also to club registrar Brian Sheedy and Development Officer Aidan Kenny.

I would like to thank the local press especially the Avondhu for their coverage of our games and for affording us space for our club notes on a weekly basis throughout the year.

I would like to thank the secretary and PRO of both the North Cork and County Boards and Mairead and Barbara in Pairc Ui Chaoimh for their help and co operation during the year


We are very fortunate to have good people who are prepared to give freely of their time and talents each year to the benefit of this club. Without our volunteers we would cease to function and we owe each and every one of them our greatest gratitude. There are so many areas of activity in our club now that it takes a lot of hardworking people to keep it ticking over. However, as a club going forward we need additional members to get involved in club administration? If attending meetings is not your cup of tea there are plenty other areas of the club you maybe able to help out on from time to time. It maybe helps out with a fundraising venture, organizing a one off event, helping out with a game at the pitch, putting out flags, putting up nets etc.

I hope for participation from you the membership tonight and that decisions for the good of the club for 2010 and beyond will be taken.

Finally 2009 has been a very busy but enjoyable year for me. I would like to thank my fellow officers, Fergus and Mossie for their help, support and co-operation over the past year. The club and I as Secretary are very fortunate to have two very dedicated and hardworking men as Chairman and Treasurer. I would like to thank Fergus for the professional manner in which he conducts the business of the club. Mossie deserves our thanks for his conscientious custody of the Clubs financial affairs in another challenging year. The work and time committed to our club by Fergus and Mossie is very much appreciated. 

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to any club members who are ill or knocked out at present.

I would like to wish the club every success for 2010 and wish you all the best of health and good luck for the year ahead and hope you all and your families have a happy and peaceful Christmas.  

Go raibh mile maith agaibh, 

Is mise le meas,

Sean O’Tobin,


Back to top